Archive for the ‘1986 Buick Grand National’ Category

GN build update March edition.

Saturday, March 16th, 2013

Slow progress, but progress none the less! Recently, I’ve measured and purchased a bunch of stainless hardware to replace most of the old upper engine hardware, and today I pressed in the new throttle body seals using a 4 inch long 5/16-18 bolt and reassembled the throttle body. The three big things I can think of that need to be done to get the engine finished are checking and setting the rockers, grinding some powdercoat out of the timing cover so the cam sensor will fit, and also powdercoating of quite a few more items, starting with the waterpump so it can be reassembled and installed once the timing cover is done. I’ve also designed and machined a couple items shown below: fuel pump blockoff and EGR deletes with turbo 6 logos.

Dash it … again.

Monday, September 17th, 2012

I revised my original GN dash design because I wasn’t happy with how the indicators I had looked. The revised version adds some depth to the dash and in my opinion really makes it stand out and look a lot better. Below is a preview with a lit up turn signal and a straight on shot.

GN dash v2 in progress

GN dash v2 in progress

GN dash v2

GN dash v2

Buick vs. Ford

Sunday, September 2nd, 2012

Just a look at what’s brewing in the 5.OCD shop.

buick vs ford

buick vs ford

Still plugGiNg away…

Monday, February 27th, 2012

Just a little GN engine project update. The heads are now on, and block, heads, and pan are painted. The upper intake and valve covers are coated in Eastwood’s “almost chrome;” pretty sweet if you ask me. The cam should be in soon, and working now on cleaning up the lower intake (this is going to be a real pain to powder) and getting the timing cover masked and ready for powder.

Painted with some parts sitting on top for effect.

Painted with some parts sitting on top for effect.

Almost chrome powdercoated Buick valve cover.

Almost chrome powdercoated Buick valve cover.

GoiNg places.

Thursday, February 9th, 2012

This is the first of the major GN updates since this project is now at the top of the queue, not counting any daily driver problems that might pop up. First, check out the carnage. Then, here’s where things stand so far:

 The heads had to be replaced; the new ones are stock style with a 3 angle valve job and are all assembled and ready to install, which I should be getting around to pretty soon here. The crank, rods, and pistons are all in and torqued down using ARP hardware. The stock crank and rods were ground .010, and a .030 bore cleaned up the scored walls. All machining by the nice guys over at R&L. The pistons were junk and replaced with some forged Speed Pros. I already have gaskets, (206/206) cam, lifters, and timing chain. I started with the rope main seals, but threw them away pretty quick and ordered some neoprene ones, same for the front cover. The timing cover, valve covers, and intakes are all cleaned and blasted and waiting for me to powdercoat. Colors of choice are red and “almost chrome” silver, I just have to decide which parts to make which color.

There’s still a lot I need and need to accomplish, but I’m shooting to get this thing running for the spring or early summer at the latest. A couple upgrades I’m hoping for are a TE34 turbo and some stainless headers since the stockers are cracked, welded and have seen better days. Along with that some bigger injectors, another Turbotweak chip to go with them, probably a wideband, and more…

3.8 in progress.

3.8 in progress.

GN carnage.

Thursday, February 9th, 2012

This is a precursor to all the upcoming GN project updates, and what I found upon tearing apart the engine in the summer of 2011. Below gives you an idea of how bad things were, click here to see the whole mess.

The short version is, there were a couple badly burnt valves, both heads were cracked beyond repair, the pistons were eroded around the edges, some had impact marks from debris, and the cylinders were all scored up.

A former valve.

A former valve.

Dash it.

Friday, October 16th, 2009

It took lots of measuring, test fitting, and hacking of the plastic behind the dash, but the new aluminum dash is in … it needs a speedo cable, water temp sender, and wideband and then it’ll be totally done. But it’s close.

Dash version1.

Dash design.

Sunday, May 24th, 2009

The GN’s stock dash hasn’t really worked since we’ve had the car. The fuel gauge is way off, the speedo bounces everywhere, and the LED RPM and boost gauges are useless. So I’m designing a new dash/gauge panel to replace the stock dash with an aluminum panel housing an Autometer Z series tach and speedo, VDO fuel level, water temp, volt, boost, and knock, and a JAW wideband display. Oil pressure and a fuel pressure gauge are going in the console pod.

 

Vacuum Brake Conversion.

Monday, December 22nd, 2008

When the Powermaster started shooting fluid out the back of the motor area, we decided to swap over to vacuum brakes rather than mess around with it. New Powermaster system: $600 vs. new vac. booster and master cylinder from Napa: $195 – 86 Monte brake pedal $5 from u-pull, and a couple more bucks for some vac. line. So 200 instead of 600 dollars later it brakes better than ever.

Front Suspension Rebuild.

Monday, December 22nd, 2008

All new front suspension: upper control arms, ball joints, sway bar bushings and end links, tie rod ends, lower control arm bushings, shocks, springs, powdercoated end links, powdercoated lower arms.

old upper control arms

old upper control arms

new suspension

new suspension